Aquatic Research Consortium
Goals and Objectives
The overall goal of ARC is to develop and apply state-of-the-art molecular and phenotypic tools in three small teleost fish models:
- Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes)
- platyfish/swordtail (Xiphophorus spp.) hybrids
- sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus)
These enhanced models will be used to characterize the effects of environmental stressors (i.e., pollutants, poor water quality) at several levels of biological organization.
The overall objective of this research is to investigate the effects of hypoxia, PAHs, heavy metals and hypoxia/PAH combinations in small fish models
- to increase our understanding of the environmental impacts of hypoxia, PAHs, heavy metals and hypoxia/PAH combinations, and
- to provide greater insight into the mechanisms of actions caused in small fish models by hypoxia, PAHs, heavy metals and hypoxia/PAH combinations.