Your contributions fund Mississippi Gulf Coast marine science field trip experiences and prizes
for teams of high school students. Because of you, we engage students in programs like Shark Fest or a visit on the R/V Point Sur working with our USM GCRL team of scientific researchers and educators.
Many Hurricane Bowl and NOSB student participants go on to pursue a college degree or future career in marine science.
The Hurricane Bowl is an annual ocean science academic competition. The Central Gulf Coast regional hosts up to 20 teams of the brightest high school students from Alabama, Arkansas, the Florida panhandle, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee. Hurricane Bowl winners advance to the National Ocean Sciences Bowl competition.
These two programs encourage students to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world’s oceans, inspiring many to become the next generation of marine scientists, policy makers, teachers, explorers, technicians, and ocean advocates.
Blue Energy - Powering the Planet with our Ocean
February 18, 2017
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory’s Marine Education Center
703 East Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Congratulations to Oxford High School on a first place finish in A bracket and Trinity Christian Academy on first place in B bracket!
- Team registration deadline: December 16, 2016
- Regional Competition Ocean Springs, Mississippi: February 17 - 18, 2017
- National Ocean Science Bowl®, Corvallis, OR: April 20 - 23, 2017
Registration forms are available on the Team Resources Page as pdf files. You may download them and type information directly into the forms and save the completed forms. Completed team registration forms can be emailed as pdf files to Aaron Lamey. Alternatively, you may send paper forms by USPS mail or a delivery service to the attention of Aaron Lamey, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, 703 East Beach Dr., Ocean Springs, MS 39564.
- Team Registration (must be submitted for for each team by December 16, 2016.)
- Coach Registration (required for each coach)
- Parental Consent (required for each student participants)
- Boat Waiver Form (required for each participant)
The deadline for registration is December 16, 2016.
Schools may register a second team (Team B). We will accept a total of 20 teams, 12 A Teams and 8 B Teams. Each group will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Coach Registration Form, Parental Consent Forms, and Boat Waiver Forms should be turned in at the competition or as soon as team rosters are finalized.
- Team rosters can be modified after the registration deadline. However, coaches should make every effort to have their roster set by January 13, 2017.
- There are no charges for registration or for housing and meals during the Hurricane Bowl. Travel is the only anticipated expense for participating teams.
Team Resources & More Information
GCRL's Team Resources Page offers an extensive set of sample questions and resources for background reading and study.
Check out the 2015 National Ocean Sciences Bowl:
GCRL and Ocean Springs also hosted the finals of the 2015 National Ocean Sciences Bowl. Teams from across the country competed in Ocean Springs from April 23 - 26, 2015 to determine the national championship.
Congratulations to Longbeach High School on a first place finish in A bracket and Bay High on first place in B bracket..
1st: Long Beach High School
1st: Bay High School