Saltwater Fishing Mississippi Coast in Shaggy's Angler Camp
Fish Saltwater Habitats Everyday!
Fishing, fishing, fishing and even more fishing at the week long summer camp. Young anglers fish everyday with our expert saltwater fishing educational team. Spend a week with our marine educators and learn a lifetime of saltwater fishing techniques. Participants explore fish biology and behavior and how weather, wind, moon and tides affect fishing. During the week, anglers will learn how to throw a net to catch bait, how to tag and release fish, and how to target speckled trout, redfish and flounder. Participants will fish a variety of saltwater habitats aboard vessels and at the islands.
Grades 7-12 - $400
GCRL, Ocean Springs —
June 5-9 and 12-16
— NEW LOCATION —
Gulf Park at Long Beach — July 10-14
In Shaggy's Angler Camp you will:
- Master the basics of fishing the Gulf Coast for speckled trout, redfish, flounder, white trout, and other fish.
- Interact with GCRL scientists in the lab and on the water to learn about fish biology and behavior.
- Learn how weather, wind, moon, and tides affect fishing.
- Learn to recognize good spots to fish.
- Find out how to catch your own bait.
- Learn about conservation and fishing regulations and how to tag a fish.
- Go fishing on GCRL and chartered vessels.
- Make your own fishing lures.
- Learn to clean and cook your catch.
2017 Shaggy's Angler Camp Schedule
Angler Camp sessions are held on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Two week-long sessions are currently scheduled for 2017.
For more information, contactthe Marine Education Center by email or call 228.818.8833.
There are four fun waterfront Shaggy's locations along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Pensacola Beach.
This locally owned group of dining destinations has a unique culture with a strong emphasis on employee care, a key to producing a positive, fun- loving, festive environment for their customers to enjoy and feel at home.
Shaggy’s corporate mission includes a strong focus on philanthropic efforts as their way of giving back to the community.
The Shaggy’s Kids Foundation introduces children to fishing and marine life. The sponsorship of the Shaggy's Angler Camp at the Marine Education Center supports teaching young boys and girls to fish in different coastal environments with a strong emphasis on conservation and sustainability of the Gulf Coast’s most valuable natural resources. The partnership between Shaggy's and the MEC brings life-changing marine education to young people here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.