Saltwater Fishing Mississippi Coast in
Shaggy's Angler Camp
Fish Saltwater Habitats Everyday!
Fishing, fishing, fishing and even more fishing at the week long summer camp. Young anglers fish everyday with our expert saltwater fishing educational team. Spend a week with our marine educators and learn a lifetime of saltwater fishing techniques. Participants explore fish biology and behavior and how weather, wind, moon and tides affect fishing. During the week, anglers will learn how to throw a net to catch bait, how to tag and release fish, and how to target speckled trout, redfish and flounder. Participants will fish a variety of saltwater habitats aboard vessels and at the islands.
Grades 7-12 - $400
GCRL, Ocean Springs —
June 5-9 and 12-16
— NEW LOCATION —
Gulf Park at Long Beach — July 10-14
In Shaggy's Angler Camp you will:
- Master the basics of fishing the Gulf Coast for speckled trout, redfish, flounder, white trout, and other fish.
- Interact with GCRL scientists in the lab and on the water to learn about fish biology and behavior.
- Learn how weather, wind, moon, and tides affect fishing.
- Learn to recognize good spots to fish.
- Find out how to catch your own bait.
- Learn about conservation and fishing regulations and how to tag a fish.
- Go fishing on GCRL and chartered vessels.
- Make your own fishing lures.
- Learn to clean and cook your catch.
2017 Shaggy's Angler Camp Schedule
Angler Camp sessions are held on Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Two week-long sessions are currently scheduled for 2017.
Downloadable 2017 Summer Camps flyer coming soon.
The fee is $400 per student. A $50 deposit is required with registration.
Online Registration - Registration for Shaggy's Angler Camp is offered only online. Paper forms are no longer used. University Faculty, Staff and Students Receive 20% Discount on Camp Tuition!
For more information, contact the Marine Education Center
by email or call 228.818.8833.