Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
703 East Beach Dr.
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
(228) 872-4239 (lab)
(228) 872-4255 (office)
- M. Sc. Coastal Sciences, in progress, The University of Southern Mississippi, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
Major professor Dr. Chet Rakocinski
- B. S. Environmental Science and Conservation Biology, cum laude, 2004, Shorter College, Rome, Georgia.
- A comparative study of benthic organisms between subtidal and intertidal areas and between a to-be-restored island complex and a reference/natural island.
Research Experience and Employment
- Fall 2004-present, Graduate Student, The University of Southern Mississippi, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Department of Coastal Sciences, Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Benthic bioindicator analyses.
- Summer 2004, Biological Field Station Assistant, Ohio State University ? Stone Lab, Gibraltar Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio. Workshops for grades 5 ? 12 & teaching assistant.
- Summer 2004, Butterfly Attendant, The Butterfly House, Put-in-Bay, Ohio. Care & maintenance of chrysalis & adults. Visitor services.
- Summer 2003, Research Assistant, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas. Research Experience for Undergraduates. Carolina Wren nesting and habitat study.
- Summer 2002, Research Assistant, Clemson University, Clemson & Jackson, South Carolina. Cotton mouse habitat study using radio telemetry and florescent powder tracking.
- Summer 2001, Resource Assistant, Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Salt Flat, Texas. Student Conservation Association. Trail patrol & visitor services.
- Spring 2001- Spring 2004, Work-study Student Aid, Shorter College, Rome, Georgia. Lab assistant for General Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Geology, and Physical Science. Research on macroinvertebrates to determine water quality.
- Summer 2000, Resource Assistant, Cumberland Island National Seashore, St. Marys, Georgia. Student Conservation Association. Sea Turtle monitoring project & visitor services.
Posters and Presentations
- Ferguson , Heather J. 2003. Senior Seminar. Macroinvertebrate community structure and bioassessment of an urban creek in Northwest Georgia. Shorter College senior seminar series.
- Ferguson , Heather, Diane Neudorf, and William Lutterschmidt. 2003. Shorter College and Sam Houston State University ? Influence of habitat on nest-box microclimate and nest success of Carolina wrens (Thryothorus ludovicianus). 65 th Annual meeting of the Association of Southeastern Biologists, Poster.
- Ferguson , Heather J. , and Riccardo A. Fiorillo. 2002. Dept. of Natural Sciences, Shorter College, Rome, GA ? Macroinvertebrate community structure of an urban creek in Northwest Georgia. 64 th Annual meeting of the Association of Southeastern Biologists, Poster.
Awards and Appreciation
- 2005, Certificate of Appreciation, USGS/DMR, Deer Island Restoration
- 2005, Chancellor?s List, Who?s Who
- 2004, Department of Coastal Sciences Research Assistantship, The University of Southern Mississippi, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
- 2004, Outstanding Senior Award, Shorter College
- 2004, Who?s Who in Colleges and Universities
- 2003, Lipps-Greer Scholarship ($500)
- 2001, AmeriCorps Educational Award ($1200)
- 2000-2004, Dean?s List, Shorter College
- 2000-2004, Presidential Scholarship (full tuition), Shorter College
Volunteer and Community Activities
- 2005, Treasurer, Marine and Estuarine Graduate Student Association, The University of Southern Mississippi, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
- 2004, Development Committee member, Habitat for Humanity of Jackson County.
- 2002 ? 2004, co-founder, president (2004), co-president (2003), secretary (2002) Habitat for Humanity, Shorter College campus chapter.
- 2002 ? 2004, member & water quality monitor, Coosa River Basin Initiative (CRBI).
Memberships (Past and Present)
- Association of Southeastern Biologists
- Gulf Estuarine Research Society
- American Fisheries Society ? Mississippi Chapter
- Beta Beta Beta ? Biological Honor Society