- 03/2002 ? present, 10/1998 ? 02/1999, 11/1995 ? 03/1997 Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Ocean Springs, MS
- Fisheries Technician III
- Acquired knowledge to identify several species of larval and post-larval fishes and invertebrates through visual cues and meristic counts
- Extracted, prepared, and analyzed fish otoliths and spines for age and growth research
- Used trawls, seines, and beam plankton nets for fisheries resource surveys
- Collected station and hydrological data using GIS meter, YSI oxygen meter, refractometer, and secchi disc
- Worked with local fish processing facilities and charter boat captains to develop fishery-dependent data bases
- Assisted in the development, operation and enhancement of an aquaculture facility for the production of larval and juvenile blue crabs.
- 08/1991 ? 08/1993 W.D.Holley Plant Environmental Research Center, Ft. Collins, CO
- Floriculture Aide
- Determined and recorded the rate of plant growth and maturity under varied conditions of moisture and heat
- Maintained a database of my recorded observations
- 05/1991 ? 07/1991 Dept. of Zoology, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO
- Field Research Assistant: Ornithology Study, McCown?s Longspur
- Conducted behavioral observations and mapping of both grasshopper movement patterns and the foraging patterns of McCown?s Longspurs
- Identified and collected several species of grasshoppers
- Located and mapped longspur nests and territories
- Assisted in the banding of nestling chicks
- 1989 ? 1993 Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO
B.S., Wildlife Biology.
- 2004 ? present University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
M.S. candidate, Coastal Science.
Cumulative GPA: 3.883
- Microsoft Word
- computerized image analysis systems
- Microsoft Excel
- Montcrieff, C.A., J.D. Caldwell, R.K. McCall, D. Rebarchik, D. WiIson*, and J.S. Franks. 1997. First documented occurrence of the toxic dinoflagellate Gymnodinium breve in Mississippi Sound. Gulf Est. Res. Soc., 1997.
- Franks, J.S., N.J. Brown-Peterson, D.P. Wilson*, R.J. Russell, and J.K. Welker. 1998. Occurrence of a synchronous hermaphroditic striped mullet, Mugil cephalus, from the northern Gulf of Mexico. Gulf Res. Repts. 10:33-39.
- Franks, J.S., J.R. Warren, D.P. Wilson*, N.M. Garber, and K.M. Larson. 1998. Potential of fin spines and fin rays for estimating the age of tripletail, Lobotes surinamensis, from the northern Gulf of Mexico. Gulf and Caribbean Fish. Inst. Pp. 1022-1037.
- Hendon, J.R., J.S. Franks & D.P. Gibson. 2004. A comparison of age estimates from sagittal otoliths and the first dorsal spine for cobia (Rachycentron canadum) from the northcentral Gulf of Mexico. Proc. 55th Ann. Gulf Carib. Fish. Inst., Xel-Ha, Mexico: 280-293.
* Maiden Name